(Updated 24th January 2014)
We’re looking for Oracle DBAs who are looking to jump to the next level.
We are not a recruitment agency, we are a real company looking for high quality candidates to become part of our team! To apply, just send your CV and a cover letter to James.Morle@scaleabilities.co.uk and we'll take it from there. We won’t be filtering on keywords, because we don’t believe in that stuff. Send us your CV and a covering letter and we promise to read them.
Scale Abilities is a specialist consulting company, founded in 2000, and working with a broad range of predominantly Oracle-based clients throughout the UK and the rest of the world. We have an enviable reputation in the industry for providing the very best consultancy advice to our clients, and were awarded Gold in the UKOUG Partner of the Year Awards for 2012/13. We pride ourselves in commitment to scientific principles, and our honest, candid and lucid communication with client. Not to mention world-class Oracle platform skills.
You will be working mostly on the client site in Swindon and partially at our offices in Cirencester with the rest of the Scale Abilities team. Your main focus with the client will be the day to day administration of the client databases, working closely with our consultants to improve the architecture, processes and general quality of the Oracle database services within the organisation.
Technically, we are looking for the following skills:
- Oracle database administration, obviously. It would be advantageous to have up to 11gR2, but don’t worry if you’ve been stuck on 10g for a while. If you’re smart, we’ll work it out. You don’t need Oracle University accreditation such as OCP/OCM if you can demonstrate that you can easily cover the skillsets without such things.
- RAC, Data Guard and Streams (yes, Streams) are a distinct advantage.
- Good UNIX skills, preferably Linux . This should include good scripting skills in one or more of the shells.
- Networking skills - reasonable understanding of IP networking technology
- Clusterware - This isn’t an active/active RAC environment, but it is a Clusterware/Grid Infrastructure environment. Skills in this area would be beneficial.
- SQL skills - you don’t need to be a SQL developer, but you should able to tune SQL and read explain-plan output
- If you have any development experience, that’s a distinct advantage
- Done any SQL tracing? We’d love to hear from you.
In addition, you should:
- Have no criminal record or previous investigations into hacking behaviour or anything like that. Yes, we’ve had candidates with those issues before and it’s just not going to work. Google will reveal the truth!
- A passion for automation of things that computers are good at. You know it makes sense.
- Currently live within a one hour commute of the Swindon/Cirencester area
- Hold a current UK driving license
- Possess unrestricted authorisation to work in UK
- Have experience liaising with external vendors and logging support calls
- Take great pride in the standard of your work
- Be highly self-motivated and able to work with the minimum of supervision
- Have a naturally proactive nature
- Take ownership and deliver results
- Ideally, you are involved in the wider Oracle community
- Be standards-driven
- Possess excellent communication skills